The facts of life are that we all pay taxes, die and love chips; the last point is certainly my own observation but one I would challenge anyone to disprove.
There is something really comforting about eating chips, sprinkled with plain old salt and vinegar they are my preferred choice of side dish or as a snack at the end of a bleary night out.
At the risk of sounding like a promotions doll I use an Actify – which is basically a fryer with minimal grease – and all you need is one spoonful of oil to produce homemade chips.
If you don’t have the aforementioned fryer these chips are just as tasty baked in the oven – the secret is to cook until they are crispy.
Ingredients (serves two)
- 4-6 potatoes peeled
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- Actify – 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- To bake – 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Cut the potatoes into thick chunks.
- Put the chips into a bowl of cold water and soak for 10 minutes to remove excess starch.
- Drain and dry the chips and coat well with the salt, pepper and paprika.
- To make chips in an Actifry cover with the vegetable oil and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until crisp.
- To bake pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Place the chips on a baking tray and sprinkle with the olive oil and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Enjoy as an accompaniment to your favourite dish with a good sprinkle of salt and vinegar.